Introduction To Jewelry:
Jewelry is considered to be most prestigious matters in Indian tradition. Jewelry in India irrespective of any gender played a prominent role.To enhance their beauty women always shows interests in wearing Jewelry made of Gold, Silver, Diamonds, Platinum and Copper. Mainly Jewelry in Indian culture is related to wealth, Prosperity and status. Especially in Indian culture these Jewels plays a symbolic role.
Jewelry has been a critical decoration for Indian women since ages. Its hugeness in an Indian women’s life can be decided from the quantity of jewelry blessings she gets on an various of propitious events throughout her life and how even the least fortunate of women have a few kinds of jewelry they can bear. Indian women’ enriching themselves with adornments isn’t just a standard custom, yet additionally has a great deal of qualities joined to every single gems piece worn by the Women.
Significance of Jewelries in Indian Culture:
Jewelry plays a Integral role in Indian society, since the ancient civilization. It holds a Very good significance not only in terms of attractiveness, but also it is very auspicious. The attraction of Jewelry is great in India. No Women in India cannot be with out Jewelry and it also varies from religion to religion. Jewelry is uniquely designed on different basis culture and ethnics. Though the trend of Men wearing a jewelry has Faded away, many of them still uses earrings, bracelets, pendents. In India even Poorest of the poor will have some sort of Jewelry with them in all phases of life such as
- At birth
- When coming to age
- At the Time of Marriage
- On Becoming a Mother
Jewelry Gifted to a Women at the time of Marriage is termed as Stridhan. ( Wealth Of Women) Jewelry designs are so Versatile in India according to Region and Religion.
Bridal Jewelry like Maangtika, hoops, nose rings, necklace, Mangalsutra, bangles, and so on makes up basic gems which decorates women in India. Unexpectedly, even today, gold is the metal most broadly utilized for wedding decorations and throughout the most recent decade, these are progressively being studded with diamonds.
Jewelry later turned into a methods for placing in investment funds, similar to a bank today, and of giving monetary security to Women who sold it in the times of need.
Wedding and Religious Jewelries:
When Compared with western Weddings, Indian Traditional weddings are more colorful and attractive. Here in India the bride wears several Ornaments from Top to Bottom.
- Necklace to neck: This signifies protection and prosperity. As Necklace is worn near the heart it is said that it controls our emotions and strengths love. In some places this necklace is used to protect themselves against hypnotism.
- Nose Ornaments: Ornaments to nose symbolizes that the Bride is of Marring age. Among various jewels adorned the Indian woman the nose ring is the most Attractive. It the important part in Indian bridal jewelry.
- Ear Ornaments: Wearing Ornaments to ear specifies the women both physical and mental health. Mostly Indian ethnic earrings are made of Gold and silver with a various Designs.
- Mangalsutra: Mangalsutra is not only an Jewelry item in Indian Culture ,But also a sacred thread which is knotted around brides neck at the time of marriage. Usually a Mangalsutra is a combination of black, white and red beads depending up on their religion. It is said that Mangalsutra is Originated in southern India and is traveled to all the countries of the World.
- Bangles/ Bracelets: Bangles have their own priority in India Culture. Where red Bangles specifies its ritualism, and green bangles are for prosperity and fertility.
- Waist Band: It also plays very Important role in Indian Culture. It is mainly worn on auspicious occasions there are two types of waist bands. They are Aranjanam and Vaddanam
- Anklets: Earlier days women are used to wear anklets, by the noise they made it is said that a Women is coming we should behave Properly. Hands and legs in a body radiate a negative energy, so to overcome this and to enhance Positive energy women are allowed to wear these Anklets.
- Toe rings: To increase the chances of Conception Indian Women wear this Jewelry after Marriage. It is Worn to second and third finger by married women. This is called as Mettalu in Telugu.
Different Jewelry materials and their importance:
As mentioned above, Jewelries carry a significance in both tradition and religious beliefs. And these Jewelries are made from precious stones and metals or a combination of these two.
- Gold: Gold is considered to be most Important Metal Used in Jewelry Making. According to Hindu Culture they believe that gold has the power of Purify anything it touches. Apart from that gold is symbol of Good Health, Prosperity and Status. In our Ancient period of Kings also used to Present Gold to Temples as a matter of their richness.
- Platinum: Platinum is Most expensive metal used in Jewelry making. When compared with other metal Jewelries Platinum is very Easy to Maintain and it is also Cleaned Easily. A Ordinary soap can be used to bring its shine back.So, many women uses this metal. This metal can be suitable for those people who are suffering from allergies.
- Diamonds: Diamonds also plays important rule in reflecting the beauty of a women in Indian tradition. There is also myth that these diamonds carries a super natural power that leads the people to achieve their goals. Diamonds Clearly indicates eternal Love and Pure hope of affection.
- Silver: It is also one of Metal used by women In Different Occasions. It is Proven that silver is powerful antimicrobial in fighting against infections. it ids also used to reduce heat from a human body and regulates Blood flow.
Traditionally, jewelry represents a symbol of prestige, wealth and power. Jewelry has the Capability to highlight women’s personality and bring out the best features when wearing the right jewelry for the right occasion. It is not perfect if you over wear a much jewelry and totally ruin look.. So, women must be cautious in representing herself.